- Permanent contract, as employee or consultant depending on country of residence
- Location: Europe – other locations could be considered. No relocation expected.
- Attractive package for a small size NGO
- Starting date: ASAP, job will remain open until a suitable candidate is found
Global warming is one of the biggest challenges of our time, and large-scale forest conservation and restoration will help reverse it.
While everyone agrees that forestry projects are a big part of the climate solution, the multiplication of projects cannot happen at the detriment of quality. WeForest has therefore taken up the challenge to certify a number of its restoration and conservation projects with some of the most stringent standards on the market. To make this happen, we are now seeking to reinforce our science team with an expert in Carbon certification and MRV (Measurement, Reporting and Verification).
WeForest is a fast-growing team of passionate experts and we are looking for someone who will share this sense of urgency and passion for the cause we promote.
In this role you will:
LEAD CARBON CERTIFICATION:
- Plan and coordinate all certification activities and contracts;
- Select most appropriate VCM methodologies for new projects (or the upgrade of existing projects) and lead their implementation;
- Manage relationships with carbon standards;
- Travel to project areas to ensure project progress towards objectives and goals.
- Supervise all technical activities related to MRV, from design to implementation, and timely preparation and submission of reports and other deliverables;
- Provide technical leadership to develop MRV systems for ARR and nested REDD+;
- Assist M&E teams to deploy tools and methods for improved ecosystem management and carbon sequestration, forest carbon inventory and reference baselines;
- Assess under field conditions the feasibility, scalability and cost-effectiveness of MRV methods.
- Drive the carbon methodology training within the organisation (M&E manager, field implementation partners and forestry teams) & ensure compliance.
- Build an internal knowledge system for carbon standards and co-benefit standards
REQUIRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
With proven experience in integrating MRV methodologies into policy planning and capacity building, you will also have:
- Technical understanding of international carbon methodologies (IFM, ARR, REDD), and the process for issuance of carbon credits;
- Demonstrated leadership in influencing teams in remote locations;
- Ability to build coalitions and networks that can provide synergies and solutions to forest management issues;
- An outstanding written and verbal communication; able to translate complex details into concise and impactful information;
- An advanced degree in forestry, environmental science, natural resource management, conservation, natural science, agriculture, geospatial analysis, climate change related fields or other relevant international development field;
- Minimum five years’ experience working in forestry, especially with regards to reforestation, deforestation and forest degradation data collection/monitoring, forest carbon assessment, land use and land use change monitoring, MRV standards and guidelines;
- Experience in developing institutional capacity (of central or local government counterparts)
WeForest is an international non-profit association headquartered in Belgium with the mission to conserve and restore the ecological integrity of forests and landscapes, engaging communities to implement and deliver lasting solutions for climate, nature and people. We promote science and best practices in a culture of sharing and inclusion, so that others can replicate and augment what we do.
POSITION WITHIN WEFOREST
This position reports to the Director of Certification and Research and in a central position for our carbon strategy. You will need to work closely with the project development team, implementation teams, science and business development colleagues.