In this role you will be responsible for:
Partnerships and Projects Management
Coordinate the delivery of existing projects by implementing partners according to agreed objectives, timelines, standards (KPIs):
a. Overseeing field operations: implementation and maintenance activities
b. Checking and mapping of the restoration sites
C. Organizing external verification of projects and follow up implementation of corrective measures
Review and approve administrative and financial documents from implementing partners and subcontractors prior to transmission to WeForest HQ: agreement, project budget, deliverables purchase orders and invoices.
When applicable, engage local farmers (landowners) in forest restoration with support from the municipalities, agriculture unions and support them in meeting legal restoration requirements.
Research & Networking
Support ongoing applied research related activities in Brazil.
Prospect and engage with universities and/or qualified personnel to facilitate research and studies on selected topics.
Follow local and national initiatives and alliances that share WeForest’s goals and explore and support the development and design of new potential in Brazil.
Report regularly on project progress, conduct performance and risks analysis, and propose corrective measures.
Provide communication materials (data, stories, pictures) that translates on the ground activities and technical issues to sponsors and the broad audience.
REQUIRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS:
- Graduated professional (Masters minimum) with at least 5 years proven experience in ecological restoration (implementation, monitoring & evaluation), forestry/ agroforestry systems in the Atlantic Forest biome.
- Experience with carbon related projects such as REDD+ and carbon certification PDD is a plus.
- Experience in mapping for forest restoration and conservation through GIS is a plus.
Communication, documentation, and language skills
- Substantial experience in project management and the different steps involved including project design, monitoring & evaluation, and sustainability strategies.
- Flexibility to manage/work with different stakeholders such as consultants, researchers, local communities, landowners, State agents and partners/local NGOs
- Experience in developing Forest and Landscape Restoration projects
- Fluent in Portuguese and English (both spoken and written). Spanish is a plus.
- Strong and clear communication skills (both internal and external).
- Driver licensed and flexibility to travel to the different sites several times a year.
- Comfortable with partners such as private operators, municipality officials and landowners.
- Capacity to identify relevant project themes and stories for communication.
WeForest is an international non-profit association headquartered in Belgium and with current projects in Argentina, Brazil, India, Ethiopia, Senegal, Tanzania, Malawi, and Zambia. Its mission is to advance innovative, scalable, and lasting solutions to restore forest and landscapes for the climate, the people and the planet.
WeForest has partnered with local institutions to develop Forest Landscape Restoration projects in the states of Sao Paulo and Amazonas (Brazil) and Misiones (Argentina), with the goals of enhancing forest cover, connecting forest remnants and creating wildlife corridors, protecting water resources, and promoting best restoration and agricultural practices.
POSITION WITHIN WEFOREST
The position reports to the Global Programs Director based in Belgium and works in close collaboration with local and executive partners (NGOs, implementation companies, landowners, and municipalities) monitoring project performance on the field.