We are still a small team and hence need a dynamic, critical-thinking and result-oriented colleague with a can-do attitude who takes up a financial and admin role in the position of Finance & admin officer. You have the willingness and capacity to also support overall HR processes. You will drive the relevant finance and admin strategies and policies to support the growth of the organization.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Check and sign cash and bank, payroll and other reconciliations on monthly basis
2. Examine, and analyze accounting records, financial statements, or other financial reports to assess accuracy, completeness, and conformance to reporting and procedural standards
3. Ensure accounting records are accurate, and with all relevant information (donor and activity information)
4. Ensure tax requirements are met
Auditing and Controlling
1. Manage financial controls and ensure their implementation
2. Identify potential gaps and develop new controls
3. Facilitate Internal and External Audits
Budgeting and Financial Reporting
1. Prepare accurate and timely financial reports (Profit & Loss, Reconciliation & Balance Sheet and Cash flow statements) for WeForest Malawi office
2. In collaboration with the teams, develop annual budgets, and analyze quarterly budget follow up
3. Provide grant & donor financial reporting
4. Prepare cost analyses for efficiency & pricing reviews
5. Excellent record-keeping, both digitally and paper-based, keeping confidentiality in mind
1. Supervise procurement of project goods and services approved by the office
2. Ensure procurement policies (e.g. approval matrix) are being followed
3. Manage the day to day running of the Project Office ensuring that office requisites and equipment are in place for all staff to perform their duties.
1. Activation and assessment of insurances, contracting and administrating services, in accordance with the institution’s standards and policies
2. Responsible for country ethical legal and statutory compliance
3. Optimize internal control procedures
4. Manage fixed assets of the project and periodically review and prepare inventories of the assets
1. Support current and future organizational needs through the development, engagement, motivation and preservation of human capital
2. Maintain pay plan and benefits program
3. Responsible for maintaining files containing job contracts and other important documents of all staff in soft and hard copy
4. Responsible for keeping record of all staff leave days and days worked in a month
5. Support where applicable, local partners of WeForest Malawi through training and extensionist services in Finance and Administration such as, but not limited to, local plant nurseries, Forest Block Committees and rural production groups
Essential: relevant degree in Finance, business management or accounting
Work experience and skills:
- 5+ years of relevant financial and admin experience with similar responsibilities
- Excellent communication, bookkeeping and people skills
- Excellent knowledge of Malawian labor law, payroll and employment act
- Competent with Microsoft Office applications, accounting packages and other relevant computer skills
- Clean and excellent track record and references
- Since WeForest is still a small organisation, very hands-on!
- Exposure to and experience with both the corporate and the NGO sector
- Extra qualifications in coaching or ethics management
- Language: Fluent in English (both speaking and writing) and Chichewa (both speaking and writing)
- Other requirements
- Be willing to live in Mulanje/Phalombe
- Flexible in terms of travelling and working conditions
Terms & Conditions
Start date: 15th February 2023
Duration of Contract: One year, renewable to a two-year contract based upon performance
Location: Based at the WeForest office in Mulanje, and potentially partly Phalombe once activities initiated in the District.
Hours of Work: Full-time, working a minimum of 8 hours per day (5 days/week). Hours will however vary depending on project needs and flexibility is essential.
Reporting line: Supervised by the WeForest Malawi Country Director and very close collaboration with Community forest manager and Community buffer manager.