(CLOSED) Weforest is hiring: Project Manager, Katanino Forest Reserve, Zambia
WeForest is a fast-growing international non-profit association with headquarters in Belgium and legal entities in France, USA, Ethiopia and Zambia. Our aim is to demonstrate, through the restoration of entire regions, that well-planned reforestation can be the solution to today’s biggest challenge: climate change. The organization is promoting Forest Landscape Restoration best practices, creating a movement, engaging the greatest brands and their millions of customers to act positively. Our activities are growing, and the organization is urgently looking for the best possible talent to reinforce its Zambia team.
WeForest is active with reforestation in Zambia since 2011, starting in Kitwe and expanding to Luanshya district at a later stage. Early on, agroforestry development was focused on planting fruit and timber trees at schools, farms, clinics and prisons. Currently, more than 1,500 hectare of Miombo woodland has been put under restoration through Assisted Natural Regeneration (ANR). At the same time, we are working with the local communities (approx. 750 farming families) to develop sustainable value-chains for forest products.
WeForest is looking for an experienced project manager to develop, implement and monitor forest restoration and livelihood projects in Zambia. Working closely with the Zambia Country Director, the project manager will establish WeForest’s presence in a new project area and, through engagement with smallholder farmers, businesses and local government, implement long-term, sustainable and scalable forest landscape restoration projects. Specifically, the project manager will develop and manage the Katanino Forest Reserve project (5,000 ha), approx. 75 km South of Ndola.
Terms & Conditions
- Start date: As soon as possible
- Duration of Contract: Two year, with potential to extend subject to performance and funding availability. If relevant, contract is subject to successful application for a Zambian work visa (with WeForest’s assistance)
- Probation Period: 3 months
- Salary: Competitive package for a small NGO, based on prior experience. WeForest’s international benefits apply for international applicants.
- Location: Copperbelt Province, Zambia with significant travel within the country, the position is primarily field-based.
- Working hours: Full-time, working Monday through Saturday morning, up to a maximum of 44 hours per week. Hours will vary depending on project needs and flexibility is essential.
Reporting to: Country Director, Zambia
Responsible for: 4 direct staff, 14 indirect
Project management, coordination and monitoring & evaluation
- Deliver on-time, and on-budget, the Katanino Forest Reserve restoration project
- Oversee planning, budgeting and implementation
- Liaise with local, district and national authorities as required
- Engage with forest-dependent communities
- Efficient and effective communication with WeForest Zambia Country Director, workforce, local communities, Forestry Department and other relevant stakeholders
- Efficient and transparent weekly and quarterly reporting to Zambia Country Director
- Develop and lead socio-economic and ecological resource assessments and monitoring in project area(s)
- Oversee and coordinate community mapping (boundary, mapping) and socio-economic data collection
- Coordinate establishment of Community Forest Management Groups and Committee
- Advise and supervise nursery establishment and tree planting/ANR activities
- In consultation with communities, Forest Department and local/national/international businesses, oversee value-chain development for non-timber forest products (incl. beekeeping)
- Coordinate and facilitate development, validation and adoption of a multi-sectorial Forest Management Plan
- In close collaboration with Zambia Country Director, recruit and develop capacity of local team
- Organise training for farmers at the district level
- If and when required: assist in the development of additional forest restoration projects in Zambia
- An M.Sc., or equivalent experience in, Forestry, Forest ecology and conservation, Economics, Rural development, Agro-ecology or equivalent
- Fluent in English (both speaking and writing)
- Minimum 3 years’ relevant experience in community-based forest restoration, management and conservation in a developing country, preferably in Sub-Saharan Africa
- Demonstrable experience of developing livelihood value chains in collaboration with small-scale farmers, communities and business
- Excellent management, coordination, training, reporting and communication skills
- Flexible in terms of traveling and living conditions
- Excellent team player
- Ability to develop and manage complex budgets
- Experience in developing log frames and work plans and delivering projects against milestones and targets
- Ability to use and understand GIS
- Knowledge of Lamba
- Track record with gender-sensitive participatory, governance and inclusion approaches
- Track record in grant applications
- Track record in writing scientific articles
Please contact Dr. De Beenhouwer <zambia[at]weforest[dot]org > with your full CV and motivation letter by 1 March 2019, mentioning the job title in the subject of the email. Due to the anticipated number of applicants, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. We thank you in advance for your interest. WeForest is an equal opportunity employer, we celebrate diversity and do not discriminate.