- Output-based short term contract – 40 days
- Location: Bandung, West Java, Indonesia
- Starting date: February, position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found
WeForest is piloting a new agroforestry project in Upper Citarum, West Java, that is implemented by Indonesian organization Yagasu. The project aims to implement agroforestry systems (primarily organic coffee) working with smallholder farmers over 10,000 hectares. The primary intended outcomes are increased forest carbon sequestration and increased incomes for local people.
Currently, WeForest and Yagasu are implementing a 250 hectares pilot to test key assumptions before full project implementation. This consultancy project is one of three aimed to test these assumptions and enable any necessary adjustments to project design. The other consultancies focus on market systems development and agroforestry protocols.
In this role you will:
- Review and provide recommendations on Systems and Procedures developed by Yagasu for seedling production and agroforestry systems
- Review and provide technical recommendations based on field observations regarding:
- Nursery management and quality of seedlings
- Site selection and pre-planting preparation
- Cropping patterns and tree species selection in relation to ecological conditions in the planting sites
- Impact of current Eucalyptus species used in agroforestry in the landscape on cropping systems and natural resources (water, soil, etc)
- Planting operations (including transport of seedlings and use of fertilizers and other chemical inputs)
- Post-planting operations and farmer support
- Evaluate the extent to which the procedures described in the project proposal are being replicated in the agroforestry sites (e.g. density of planted seedlings, mixed of species, spatial arrangements, survival rate)
- Evaluate Yagasu training and technical support programs for farmers to establish and manage agroforestry systems (i.e. review training materials and resources and interview farmers)
- Evaluate Yagasu M&E systems and procedures
- Evaluate current criteria for participants in the pilot projectl and revise as needed for full project implementation per finalized cropping patterns
- Confirm that farmers and sites who participate in the pilot:
- Meet the criteria defined in the project proposal
- Have land ownership or permanent land use rights
- Have signed a standard agreements with Yagasu (in which they agree to protect agroforestry systems for minimum 20 years and to hand over carbon services to funders)
- Provide recommendations for agroforestry systems, sites and participants identified for the full implementation phase (after pilot)
- Assess current and potential yields according to different approaches (at minimum: without and with agroforestry)
REQUIRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
- At least 10 years of relevant experience, of which at least 8 is in market systems development or value chain studies
- Experience in organic coffee production and market engagement
- Experience in developing and using action research tools and participatory methods
- Experience in conducting similar studies in the region
- Academic background in relevant topics eg. Economics, Management, Marketing, Entrepreneurship, Rural Development
- Experience in qualitative and quantitative research and analysis methods
- Experience of working with the private sector in a rural setting
- Fluency in written and spoken Indonesian and English is required
- Flexibility to travel to Upper Citarum and work in a rural location
WeForest is an international non-profit association headquartered in Belgium with the mission to conserve and restore the ecological integrity of forests and landscapes, engaging communities to implement and deliver lasting solutions for climate, nature and people.
Yagasu is an Indonesian Foundation that operates as a Non-Government Organization and focuses on ecosystem restoration, biodiversity conservation and community and socio-economic development.
POSITION WITHIN WEFOREST
This position reports to the WeForest Head of Project Developmentand will work closely with Yagasu project staff. Yagasu is able to provide some office space in its office in Bandung during the duration of the consultancy.