WeForest has been active around Mulanje cedar and miombo restoration in Malawi since 2018, starting in Mount Mulanje Forest Reserve, Mulanje/Phalombe district. Currently, the project is expanding with a time-horizon till 2034, focused on co-management of miombo woodlands, agroforestry and efficient cookstoves promotion in an area home to more than 10.000 households.
Our team in Malawi is composed of 8 positions and hence we are looking for a dynamic, critical-thinking and result-oriented deputy director with a can-do attitude who takes up a leadership role and is able to introduce and/or refine country procedures. You will support the Country Director in developing and nurturing partnerships, coordinating and supervising WeForest’s work, and in scoping for additional project opportunities.
The Deputy Country Director will assist the Country Director in the following responsibilities:
- Manage legal entity in Malawi according to the local legislations and WeForest internal regulations
- Participate in and report to WeForest Board in Malawi in full transparency and integrity
- Drive projects and teams to the highest standards and best recognized practices
- Establish strong M&E&L systems contributing to internal learning and adaptive management
- Coordinate projects reporting (including for key stakeholders and for international fundings)
- Identify, develop and drive processes and tools to consolidate the organisation in Malawi
- Drive relationships with key governmental authorities
- Develop partnerships with key stakeholders and institutions promoting holistic and integrated approaches in forest and landscape restoration
- Develop the country strategy and identify / scope for new projects
Finance & admin
- Manage budgets, control and report expenditures according to WeForest internal regulations
- Oversee staff insurance, pension and payroll according to Malawian legislation and WeForest standards
- Supervise and coach WF teams with leadership and exemplarity
- Drive recruitment process and contract management processes
REQUIRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
- Essential: M.Sc. in Environmental resource management, MBA or equivalent experience.
Work experience and skills:
- 7+ years relevant work experience, with demonstrated experience in leading teams and innovating strategy
- Demonstrated experience in (agro)forestry, agriculture and/or community-based natural resource management incl. community-based governance
- Demonstrated experience in representing an organization towards national authorities, international and local partners
- Track record in management of complex multi-year budgets
- Experience with training and coaching of small field teams
- Track record with gender-sensitive participatory, governance and inclusion approaches
- Acquainted to Forest Landscape Restoration (FLR) and Market Systems Development approaches (MSD)
Language: Fluent in English (both speaking and writing)
- Driving license
- Office in Mulanje with living possibilities in Mulanje or Blantyre
- Flexible in terms of travelling and working conditions
POSITION WITHIN WEFOREST
This position reports to the Country Director and the Global Programs Director, working closely with HR, Finance, Fundraising HQ departmental teams.